Friday, January 15, 2010

Motivation

I would love to say that I am the "Great Motivator" but I cannot honestly say that. In drafting I try to motivate my students by telling them about interesting buildings or jobs that I was able to work on during my career in engineering and architecture. But ultimately most are only concerned about how much that they can make an hour when they get out of school.
That bugs me to a point because I value an experience more than money. But that being said I do like being paid but ultimately it is more about the journey than the destination.
As far as motivating my students, I would honestly say it has been so-so in my 3 and a half years of teaching. I have the most success with 10th and 11th graders. I guess because they are more mature than freshmen and don't have senioritis like seniors.
What I try to do is get to know each of my students and find out what movies, music or hobbies that they like and try to put a drafting spin on it. I have several guitar players in my class so we are going to design a guitar maybe build it in the spring.
I guess what I try to do is get to know my students and assure them that I only have their best interest in mind. ANd hope they buy into what I'm doing.

2 comments:

  1. I think when you are honest and try they do "buy" into what you are doing. Just keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin,

    I honestly believe it will get easier for you the more you work at it. Last year, I didn't have a clue with Flash. And my students knew it! It was hard to convince them that I could effectively lead them through the process when I was so lost myself. But now I'm a little more confident, and a little confidence goes a long way. Keep your chin up. Keep using your students' interests to build interest in the subject matter.

    You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete