Thursday, June 25, 2009

Notable Educational Experience

One of my most powerful learning experiences was in my 10th grade biology class. I was under achieving in this class( it was guitar class or drafting, so there for I under achieved), and my teacher questioned my intelligence in a somewhat insulting manner. And told me I couldn't pass her class. Well, at age 16 nobody told me what to do , not even me! So I upped my game, and aced her class. Through the course of the year we started getting along and by June we were both satisfied with my efforts. I had never been called out like that by a teacher and I guess that taught me lesson about myself and how I should handle by business. Twenty some (very)odd years I find myself calling some of my bright under achieving students out. The 2 that come to mind have turned out well. The first graduated this year and the second had learned his way to being one of first recruits for Globaloria. You'll get to see first hand how that one plays out.

2 comments:

  1. I may be wrong in my concept but I think it is important to call students out who are not doing well in our class when they are capable. I don't think I did it in an insulting way but I discuss with them what I think they are capable of doing. It is our jobs to encourage all students to work to the best of their ability--not just do what gives them a passing grade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is great that you didn't just pat these students on the back for "doing their best" and put their feet to the fire. I think students like that kind of challenge because they know that it means you care and are paying attention to them as people. It also gives them a good sense of true praise and success when they do step up their game.

    ReplyDelete