Monday, September 28, 2009

My video game Journey continued.....

Those of you who know me know that I probably know more useless music trivia than any sane human should know. While most people were learning relative’s birthdays and anniversaries, I was reading album liner notes. So I could probably tell you Ace Frehley's guitar tech before I could tell you my mother's birthday. But enough about that. What I am here to blog about is one of the earliest, if not the earliest marriage of rock music and video games. The band Journey was on top of the world in 1983 when Bally Midway decided to capitalize on the bands upcoming U.S. tour and released the Journey video game.
So what you say. This game was really ahead of its time. It had scanned images of the band member’s faces on cartoon bodies trying to retrieve their instruments on different planets. Once you obtained all of the instruments it played their hit song “Separate Ways”. The song was looped on a cassette player inside the machine. Due to the degradation of the cassette tape finding one of these machines that still works is nearly impossible. So you won’t be able to put on your parachute pants and Rising Sun T-shirt and push some quarters into this innovative machine.

2 comments:

  1. I had never heard of that. It is important to know where we came from to determine our future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just goes to show how quickly technology moves!

    ReplyDelete