Monday, September 21, 2009

A New Perspective

Since the 1st Globaloria training in June, I have looked at video games in a new light. Until then I had never really cared about what was going on behind the scenes to make these games work. After the June training, whenever I play them now I am thinking in the back of my mind “How did they do this” or “How did they do that”. Recently, I had a flashback. I went into Pizza Hut to pick up some pizzas for my daughter’s birthday party and there before mewas a Donkey Kong machine! This took me right back to 1982.Until I had to put 50 cents in to play.

I will confess, growing up I was a video game junkie. I would pump quarter after quarter into these machines. It started with pinball and evolved to Pac Man, Centipede right on until home platforms got affordable. But seeing this Donkey Kong machine got me thinking. Thinking back to that training in June and how we had a created a game that was comparable in a few hours and how Donkey Kong was state of the art in 1982.

On the ride home I got to thinking about the advances in technology in just the last 20 years. In my adult life I have evolved through Pong, Atari, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Playstations 1 -3, Play station Portable, Nintendo DS. I never would have dreamed that I would have all of this technology in my life.

3 comments:

  1. Just image what the next 20 years will bring. It would be exciting if our students were part of the development. I think we are giving them the training to start in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the late 80's/early 90's I was reluctant to use technolgy. I was working for an engineer who was somewhat foward thinking and forced everybody to use computers.SoI had to embrace it or be fired. Luckily, I liked using AutoCAD and those skills lead me to other applications with music and graphic design. I think it is cool to be on the inside of gaming industry and excited to see where it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is another great example of how change is so constant, sometimes painful, but always the best initiator of personal growth.

    ReplyDelete